This past summer, I was on a mission to find a cozy cabin in Minnesota that I could get away to in the fall. I was looking for something rustic, with pretty scenery, a wood-burning fireplace, and major cozy fall vibes. After much browsing through Airbnb and VRBO, I found a cabin that matched everything I was looking for – The Vintage Cabin on Lake O’Brien near Crosslake, Minnesota.
I’ll preface this post by saying that I didn’t get to stay in the cabin as long as I was planning. I had to leave before my second night due to a pet emergency, so I didn’t get as many photos of the place as I was planning. But you can see plenty of great shots of the cabin in the VRBO listing that can add to the details I’m sharing here.
So what do you need to know about this cabin?
It’s the perfect little cabin for a weekend getaway. And I say “little” because one of the first things I noticed when I arrived is it is smaller than the photos on the listing. But I only thought it added to the coziness of the place.
The main classic 1950s cabin has two identical bedrooms, a 3/4 bathroom, a living room with a TV, a wood-burning fireplace, a kitchen with a nice-sized island, and all the appliances you’d need for cooking meals.
The guest house is nestled away from the main cabin and is called the Stow-A-Way. It has a large cozy bed, TV, a small sitting nook, a built-in wet bar for coffee (with a mini fridge), and a 3/4 bathroom. I stayed in the guest house during my visit, and I can say it is indeed oh-so-cozy with those warm wool blankets.
Lastly, the screened-in porch on the property makes for a perfect morning coffee spot. I loved reading out there and listening to the loons on the lake, which you can see from the porch. It’s very peaceful. The little lanterns, lamps, cozy blankets, and whicker furniture were a great touch.
Next to the porch is an outdoor area with a fire pit and grill, perfect for telling spooky Halloween ghost stories around a warm fire in the fall. Oh, and did I mention the property also has a sauna?
What are some of my favorite things about the place?
- As I mentioned earlier in my post, the cabin hit on everything I wanted for a cozy fall getaway. The wood-burning fireplace, of course, was a definite favorite. There’s something nice about the habitual stoking of the fire throughout the day to keep the cabin warm, especially on a cold fall day. Plus, extra points for the VRBO hosts, Jeff and Lindsay, as they had the fire going when I arrived.
- I also loved all the games, books, and puzzles available for guests to enjoy.
- The cabin has lovely natural light. I loved the sunshine coming in from the large window in the living room that looked down to the lake.
- And finally, the pines that are on the property. The cabin is tucked away in the forest around Lake O’Brien, and the property has these lovely mature pines that are very pretty.
What are things to do near Crosslake, Minnesota?
You can start by checking out my Nisswa, Minnesota blog post, as it’s close to Crosslake, and I speak to some of the things to do in the area there. But here are a few more things you can do while staying at the cabin:
- If you go in the summer, the cabin comes with a pontoon that you can use. Score! Otherwise, the large dock is perfect for enjoying the sunshine (don’t forget the sunscreen!) or fishing. Several notes in the guest book talked about catching a lot of fish right from the dock!
- Go for a long walk, hike, or bike ride. The roads near the cabin make for a great walk, especially in the fall. There are also a lot of great hiking and biking trails in the Cuyuna Lakes area, which is about 25 minutes away.
- Check out some of my Crosslake favorites, including the Curious Belongings antique store (so cute!), Lake Country Crafts + Cones, and Crosslake Coffee (although I hear they might be moving soon).
- If you’re a history buff, check out the Crosslake Area Historical Society Log Village, which has beautiful log homesteads, a school, a general store, and more that were built by settlers back in the early 1800s.
- Head to nearby Nisswa to enjoy everything that the Brainerd Lakes area has to offer.
If you’re looking for a cozy cabin to stay in this fall, the Vintage Cabin on Lake O’Brien is where you need to go. Make sure to book early, as their calendar fills up quickly. I’d love to go again in the fall. And I bet summertime is fantastic as well.
Let me know if you have any questions – I’m happy to answer any about the cabin. Otherwise, your hosts, Jeff and Lindsay, are also quick to respond.
Psst! I loved this cabin so much that I added it to my 6 Cozy Airbnb Cabins in Minnesota blog post as a bonus.
Let’s go places,
Did you love this post? Then make sure you don’t miss any upcoming travel itineraries. Follow along by subscribing to my email newsletter or following me on Instagram.
Are you going to book this beautiful Minnesota fall getaway? Let me know in the comments below.
I have collaborated with the Vintage Cabin on Lake O’Brien for this post, but all opinions are mine.
All photos in this blog post are mine. Feel free to share but please credit me with a link to the blog. Much appreciated, and thank you for your support!
2 thoughts on “A Quick Fall Getaway To Lake O’Brien”
Looks like comfort place to hang out in weekend.
Definitely a great cozy spot for a weekend getaway!